Thursday’s International Headlines You Should Know Of

0
409
Non-Cyclical Constructions Goods Sector Outperforms the Rest on Thursday

Investors who aren’t paying attention to global headlines could be missing out on investment opportunities.  Here is a roundup of some notable stories happening way outside of Wall Street and Main Street.

Yahoo Japan May Have Found A Buyer

As part of Yahoo’s (NASDAQ: YAHOO) asset sale agreement with Verizon (NYSE: VZ), the company sold only its core internet properties.  Holdings such as Yahoo! Japan were left out of the deal but a report suggested a potential buyer may be ready to step in.

According to the New York Post, Yahoo’s management team is now focusing on selling off its Yahoo Japan unit which could fetch $8.5 billion in any deal.  Surprising to some, Yahoo only owns a 36 percent stake in Yahoo Japan while Japan-based Softbank owns a 43 percent stake.

The New York Post suggested that Softbank is interested in acquiring Yahoo’s 36 percent stake so that it could include the asset as part of a merger with Rakuten Ventures, the investment arm of Rakuten, a Japanese electronic commerce and internet company.

Nike And Chelsea FC Make History

Nike (NYSE: NKE) is looking to expand its presence into football (soccer) and announced on Thursday it reached an agreement to become the official kit supplier for Chelsea FC.  

Nike will replace Adidas in a contract that will run until June 2017.  Nike will provide the uniform for the popular club starting in the 2017-2018 season and will also outfit the first time as well as the Academy and women’s teams, in addition to fan gear.

Nike didn’t confirm the length of the contract and dollar amount involved but the Guardian pegged the deal worth 60 million British pounds ($73 million) through the 2032 season.

Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia said: “This is an incredibly exciting and important deal for the club. Like Chelsea, Nike is known around the world for its excellence and innovation and we look forward to working together in what is sure to be a successful partnership. We believe Nike will be able to support our growth into new markets as well as helping us maintain our place among the world’s elite football clubs.”

Taiwan Semiconductor Reports Third Quarter Results

Taiwan-based Taiwan Semiconductor (NYSE: TSM) reported on Thursday its third quarter results.

The company said that its consolidated revenue for the quarter was NT$260.41 billion, or $8.20 billion.  The reported revenue marks an increase of 19.8 percent from the prior quarter and 23.0 percent on a year-over-year basis.

Taiwan Semiconductor noted that shipments of its 16/20 nanometer represented 31 percent of its total wafer revenue, 28-nanometer process technology accounted for 24 percent of total wafer revenue.  Advanced technology 280 nanometer and more advanced technologies accounted for the remaining 55 percent of total wafer revenues.

Despite a less favorable exchange rate compared to its prior expectations, the company’s third quarter revenue managed to surpass the high-end of its prior guidance which it provided three months ago.